Westerville City Schools are preparing to begin the registration process for our next kindergarten class. We look forward to meeting our new families and greeting our returning families. Kindergarten is required for children before entering first grade. If your child will be five years old on or before September 30, 2014, you may register him/her for kindergarten.
Our procedure for registration is designed to meet the needs of parents. Registration for kindergarten will be held using our attendance boundaries. If you are unsure of your current home school of attendance, please contact any Westerville City Schools’ elementary school or the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at 614/797-7700.
If your child is a currently enrolled Westerville City Schools’ preschool student, you do not have to re-register with Westerville City Schools, though you are encouraged to participate in packet pick-up in order to familiarize yourself with Kindergarten-related opportunities and activities.
If your child turns five years old after September 30, 2014, and you believe they are ready for Kindergarten, please contact our Gifted & Talented Services department at 614/797-5887 to discuss early entrance.
Tuesday, February 11 – 7:00 p.m. – KINDERGARTEN 101
- Parents may attend a presentation on the process for enrolling their child for Kindergarten, the typical Kindergarten day and what is expected of our Kindergarteners throughout the school year, and to answer questions parents may have about the Kindergarten experience. Kindergarten 101 will be held at both Fouse and Hawthorne Elementary Schools. The same presentation will be made concurrently at both sites.
Wednesday, February 19 – 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – REGISTRATION PACKET PICK-UP/BRING YOUR CALENDAR
- Parents may pick up a numbered registration packet at their current home school. While picking up the registration packet, the parent will sign up for a time to return the required documents to the Enrollment and Family Resource Center located at 300 Polaris Parkway, Suite 3200, (inside the OhioHealth Medical Building).
- Parents will be given the option to sign up for an appointment time either during the day or an evening for returning their registration materials.
- Parents are to pick up a registration packet for their child only.
Monday, February 24 through Friday, March 28– INDIVIDUAL REGISTRATION APPOINTMENTS
- Parents complete the registration online and return the required documentation to the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at their appointed time.
- If a parent is unable to meet their scheduled appointment, the parent is responsible for calling the Enrollment and Family Resource Center before March 28, 2014 to reschedule.
- Requirements/Documentation for registration:
- Completed online registration;
- Original birth certificate; passport (if United States, must provide birth certificate); I-94, Permanent Resident Visa or Green Card
- Photo ID for custodial parent
- Original court-stamped documents for custody, if applicable to situation
- Updated immunization records
- Medical records (of chronic conditions, if applicable)
- Current IEP/MFE, if applicable to your child
- Two (2) proofs of residency – choose first (1st) proof from the A list; the second (2nd) proof must be from the B list:
- Options for 1st proof:
- Current Rental/Lease agreement with custodial parent’s name listed; or
- Current Mortgage Statement with custodial parent’s name listed; or
- Purchase Contract Agreement to buy/lease property (if within 90 days of enrollment), and
- Options for 2nd proof:
- Current (within 30 days) Public Utility Bill (water, gas, electric, landline phone, or cable bill) showing service at the address of the resident; or
- Current (within 30 days) Government Mailing (child support, government assistance, tax mailing); or
- Official confirmation from the US Postal Service of your Change-of Address mailed to you at your new address
State law requires immunizations to be completed prior to entering school. Requirements are:
- DTP or DtaP shots (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus): A minimum of 4 doses are required. If the fourth dose was administered before the age of four, a fifth dose is required.
- Polio vaccine: a minimum of 4 doses of any combination of OPV or IPV are required; the final dose must be given on or after the 4th birthday, regardless of the number of previous doses.
- MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella): 2 doses required – 1st dose required on or after 12 months of age
- HBV (Hepatitis B Virus) – 3 doses required, with proper spacing criteria
- VARIVAX (chicken pox vaccine) or disease history – Two doses or history of disease is required for Kindergarten entry. The first dose must be given on or after the first birthday. If the student has had the disease, verification/date may be provided by physician or parent.
Immunizations are available through your local health departments – Westerville and Gahanna, 614/462-3635; Columbus, 614/645-7945; and Delaware County, 740/368-1700.
If you have any questions regarding Kindergarten registration, please call your school’s office or the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at 614/797-7700. You may also visit our school website at www.wcsoh.org for additional information.