Welcome to McVay Elementary School!
We are so glad you are visiting our web site, and we hope it will help you get to know our school. With a warm and welcoming atmosphere, dedicated teachers, and a variety of cultures representative of our community, McVay Elementary School is a wonderful place to teach and to learn.
We have established a Twitter account for McVay, @McVayElementary, which will have periodic student work and all the great opportunities we have to offer. Follow us for the latest information.
McVay Elementary School is committed to academic excellence. Together with our families and the community, the staff and students of McVay work toward clearly focused educational, personal, and social goals. Parents are strongly encouraged to become involved in the school. When parents attend school functions, they demonstrate to their children that they value school and education. Attending events such as Back-to-School Events, Curriculum Night, Literacy/Science Night, parent/teacher conferences and coming to PTA meetings are all important ways that parents learn about what’s going on at school.
I urge you to become involved at McVay! The PTA (Parent Teacher Association) works tirelessly to support our school in countless ways, including financial support through fundraising, providing enrichment activities such as assemblies and field trip opportunities, sponsoring building events like the annual Book Fair and Veteran’s Day, and volunteering. Please watch for additional PTA information in the newsletters throughout the year.
All parents are considered members of PTA with hundreds of ways to be involved in our PTA activities in both big and small ways depending on the amount of time you have to offer. Volunteering sets an important example for children about shared responsibility. There are many opportunities to volunteer, whether it is in the classroom, participating in PTA activities, chaperoning field trips, serving as a room parent, serving on a committee, or assisting with clerical tasks. Parents learn about these opportunities through classroom newsletters, the school newsletter, and through the many PTA flyers and notices that are sent home, or simply by calling the school office and inquiring.
How to get involved in your child’s education at McVay
1. Fill out the PTA volunteer forms.
2. Ask your child questions about what he/she learned in school that day. (“What did you learn in math today?” or “What stories are you reading in school?”)
3. Read to your child every day.
4. Check your child’s backpack daily for letters or flyers about upcoming events.
5. Call the school or email the principal or teacher if you have any questions or concerns.
6. Sign up to help at a class event like parties or field trips.
7. Attend PTA general meetings to learn about school events.
8. Assist your child with homework assignments by creating a quiet environment to work.
Please come in and see our school for yourself!
Scott C. May