In conjunction with COSI’s massive Science Festival (http://cosiscifest.org), which will be held in downtown Columbus May 1-4, each community in Franklin County has been challenged to create local events to encourage excitement about science and potential career opportunities.
In response, the Westerville Area Chamber of Commerce is hosting a Westerville Business Tech Tour on May 1, for people to experience the science and technology behind how five local organizations make products and serve the public. The event will feature a full slate of hands-on activities for all ages and interests. The free tours will assemble at 4:30 p.m. at Hoff Woods Park in Westerville. Space is limited. Learn more and register for your free ticket(s) as soon as possible at https://westerville-business-tech-tour-tickets.eventbrite.com. The tours will include experiences at:
- Lake Shore Cryotronics. Experience the research and see the products used by NASA for Mars exploration and other space missions (high school +).
- Blair IT. Augmented Reality, where things are more than real and way beyond virtual reality (middle school +).
- AVCom SMT. How robotics are used to manufacture circuit boards – “They don’t teach this stuff in school!” (middle school+)
- Westerville Fire Department. Fire Science – see through smoke with invisible light; see latest EMS tools (all ages).
- Westerville Wild Warbots at Westerville North High School. Work with big, fast robots at the team’s home base station to design, build and operate robots (middle school+).
Additional activities are also being planned, which include:
- STEAM Exploration at The Point at Otterbein on May 1 (students through middle school);
- Science Trivia at the Time & Change Restaurant and Sports Bar on May 1 (adults);
- Designing Westerville at Alcott Elementary School on May 2 (students and adults);
- Innovation Academy: Tech Fair at the Westerville Public Library on May 2 (middle school and high school); and a
- Citywide Star Party at Sharon Woods Metro Park on May 3 (students and adults).
For further information, please contact Jack Brown at 201/874-6328, or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.