An awards ceremony was held on January 2 at the American Legion Young-Budd Post 171 in Westerville to honor the 2018 Americanism and Government Testing winners. They are:
- Top scoring senior boy – Peter Cochrane, Westerville South High School
- Top scoring senior girl – Molly Gulley, Westerville South High School
- Top scoring junior boy – Joseph Clegg, Westerville Central High School
- Top scoring junior girl – Jessica Baker, Westerville Central High School
- Top scoring sophomore boy – Reuben Simiyu, Westerville North High School
- Top scoring sophomore girl – Muna Ali, Westerville North High School
Each winner was given an American Legion lapel pin. Top Students in the Sophomore, Junior, and Senior categories were also given checks for $100 from Young-Budd Post 171. Their names and test papers were sent to the District 12 headquarters for the district competition. District 12 winners were senior Joseph Clegg, and sophomores Reuben Simiyu and Muna Ali. Their scores will be entered in the state competition.
Also honored were students with the top three scores from each high school. They received checks in the following amounts – first place, $100; second place, $75; third place $50. They are:
- Westerville Central High School – Joseph Clegg, first place; Ted Lau, second place; and Jessica Baker, third place
- Westerville North High School – Ethan Moore, first place; Danielle Pratt, second place, and Cassandra Mohr, third place
- Westerville South High School – Molly Gully, first place; Rachel Slaybaugh, second place; and Peter Cochrane, third place.
“All students and teachers are to be congratulated for their efforts,” said Dr. William G. Golden, Americanism and Government Test Coordinator. He thanked parents, student advisers and American Legion members who helped administer or grade the tests.