Six Westerville City schools participated in Jump Rope for Heart, Hoops for Heart and Red Out for Heart activities this year to earn money for the American Heart Association. At the conclusion of the 2016-2017 school year, a whopping $34,660.70 had been raised for the organization. Participants were:
- Alcott Elementary (under the direction of volunteer coordinator Paul McNeal), $17,408.43;
- Annehurst Elementary (Lindsey Visintine), $4,809.65;
- Cherrington Elementary (Dustin Lee), $4,505.62;
- Fouse Elementary (Chris Todd), $3,742.00;
- McVay Elementary (Eric Heminger), $4,160;
- Westerville South High School (Lisa Baughman), $35.00.
The money will be used for improving patient care; research; advocating for better health; raising awareness; protecting the future; educating Americans; and reaching out to populations at risk.