Carol Weiss, Secretary
Under the direction of the Office of Pupil Services, this office focuses the educational resources and support services to provide the best educational program to ESL students, providing leadership to ensure that all teachers take affirmative steps to provide ESL students with educational services that address the students' English language and academic needs. Services are designed based on scientific-based research so that students receive effective instruction leading to academic achievement and timely acquisition of English proficiency. Qualifying students, upon enrolling in Westerville City Schools, will be evaluated to determine the level of support needed.
The district's ESL program and services are consistent with the Ohio State Department of Education Standards and the Office of Civil Rights and congruent with the policies of the Westerville Board of Education.
This office is also responsible for the Community Outreach Program.
Lula Mohamed-Barnes, Community Outreach Liason
Marlene Torrez-Graham, Community Outreach Liason
Phone: (614) 797-7700
Fax: (614) 797-7701
Jenny Wenner, Elementary School ESL Facilitator
Kelly Blum, Secondary ESL Facilitator
Luz Ballinger, Secondary ESL Facilitator
Reaching out to:
- Assist at Enrollment and Family Resource Center;
- Advocate for ESL students;
- Facilitate parent involvement in school events;
- Help teachers and parents promote good study skills for ESL students;
- Educate ESL parents about rights and responsibilities in American schools;
- Encourage parent involvement in students’ education;
- Inform about the general rules for using an interpreter;
- Familiarize ESL parents about American homelife, social services, and the educational, legal, and health systems; and
- Highlight cultural differences and clarify misunderstanding between cultures.