March 23 - 25 marked the beginning of Spring Break for Westerville City Schools, but for Westerville South Theatre Troupe 513, it was a weekend of shows, workshops, competitions and scholarships. Thirty-nine students and eight parent volunteers, under the leadership of Derrick McPeak and Matt Wolfe, traveled to Northmont High School in Clayton for the annual Ohio State Thespian Conference. This marks 44 years of State Thespian conferences and Westerville South Troupe 513 is the only school in Ohio that has attended all of them. By the numbers:
- Twelve – students who participated in the sold-out one act directed by Caleb Jingo and assisted by Oliver Runyon. The predominately freshman and sophomore cast did an amazing job working with the upperclassmen. South participants were Sophia Shai, Cassie Reichert, Ella Dickerson, Myah Miller, Emilye Winesette, Emma Murphy, Alex Blessing, Jadon Py, Jesse Adair, and Tyler Carraway.
- Nine – students who auditioned and made the All-Ohio show, Letters to Sala. Representing the Technical Crew were Hunter McCune, Emily Hayman, Baylee Roberson, and Lilah Benjamin. Representing the cast were Abby Messina, Caroline Warrick, Caleb Jingo, Oliver Runyon, and Josiah Holloway.
- Nine – the number of Excellent Ratings in the Individual Event competition. These were earned by Emma Murphy, Josiah Holloway, Kandy Boakye, Abbie Collinsworth, Karina Deere, Olivia Layson, Abby Messina, Oliver Runyon, and Caleb Jingo.
- Three – the number of scholarships awarded to Westerville South High School seniors (only five are given statewide). Recipients are Hunter McCune, Cherish Myers and Abby Messina.
- Two – the number of Double Superior ratings earned by South in Individual Events; these students have been invited to compete at the International Thespian Conference on behalf of the State of Ohio – Madison Staten and Cherish Myers.
- One – Gold Honor Troupe recognition (four years in a row).
In addition, Emily Stowers represented Westerville North High School in the All-Ohio show.