Dear Hanby Families,
HAPPY FEBRUARY! I can hardly believe we are already halfway through the year! Please spend time talking to your child about any goals they may make regarding the remainder of the school year. Discuss with them their areas of strengths and spend time developing an action plan for refining any areas in which they may need to improve.
An area that will be new to Ohio this year is the way in which our students in grades 3-5 are assessed. Attached to this newsletter you will find a tentative testing schedule for the Westerville City School District.
You may have heard many discussions regarding PARCC (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers) tests. The PARCC tests are high quality, computer-based K–12 assessments in Mathematics and English Language Arts/Literacy). They are carefully based on the Common Core State Standards and crafted to give teachers, schools, students, and parents better and more useful information on how we’re preparing our kids for their futures.
Priority Purposes of PARCC Assessments:
1. Determine whether students are college- and career-ready or on grade level
2. Assess the full range of the Common Core Standards, including standards that are difficult to measure
3. Measure the full range of student performance, including the performance of our high and low performing students
4. Provide data during the academic year to inform instruction, interventions and professional development
5. Provide data for accountability, including measures of growth
6. Incorporate innovative approaches throughout the system
You can gather more information about the PARCC as well as have your child take a practice test by visiting the following website: http://www.parcconline.org. On the left side you will find links to practice tests and other information. There is also an area titled PARCC resources.
As you know, the home school connection and working together as a team is of the utmost importance- Together Everyone Achieves More! Thank you for all that you do to support Hanby as we work towards the common goal of guiding your child to soar to new academic heights! Again, Happy New Year! This will be the best year yet!